Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My Cardigan's My Armour...


MJ Hibbett & The Validators - The Lesson of The Smiths

MJ Hibbett & The Validators - Post-Subsonic Bass

MJ Hibbett & The Validators hail from Derby and release wonderful records of the staunchly indie variety. Think somewhere along the lines of The Wedding Present, Brilliant Corners, The Smiths and Half Man Half Biscuit but with a fiddle and you won't be a million miles off.

The lead track above is the latest single taken from the recently released album 'We Validate' while the second track is from 2003's 'This is Not a Library' album.
MJ Hibbett & the Validators have been going since 1999 but have only recently come to my attention, but I'm not the only one late to the party. In the last year things really seem to be picking up for the band with their first session for Steve Lamacq and great reviews and some other radio play too including the ever great Dandelion Radio.

If you head over to Contrast Podcast you'll notice that I picked 'The Lesson of The Smiths' as my choice for this weeks theme 'Songs mentioning other songs, bands or artists'.
It was a tough choice to be honest. I nearly went for HMHB's 'Joy Division Oven Gloves', well let's face it, I could have picked pretty much any of their songs at random and find a mention of another band in it.
But I decided on MJ Hibbett & The Validators as I reckon more people need to hear them, I mean, really need to hear them.
Their songs are just so damn well written, full of catchy hooks and tunes, plus the wonderful lyrics that sum up so many of my thoughts far better than I could ever put into words.

Here's to the next year and far more exposure for a wonderful band of the staunchly indie variety.

Buy - MJ Hibbett & The Validators - Lots of records
Visit - MJ Hibbett & The Validators
Visit - Contrast Podcast
Visit - Dandelion Radio

Simon
x

No comments: