Thursday, June 02, 2005

You May Rock If You So Desire...



Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Jule Lost His Jewels

The only music mag I buy is The Wire. Sometimes it is fantastic and inspiring and other times it just irritates the living shit out of me, which is probably more to do with my state of mind than the content. But I've read it for ever and it has changed my life on several occasions. Which is not to say we always get on, of course.

I was buzzing through this month's free cd, pausing first on a Matt Elliott track (rather a change from "Semtex"), dodging the dull lap top and not that avant jazz bits when BLAM track nine hit me full in the face. Wha? Hey, I wasn't ready to be entertained...

He's 27, from Los Angeles, records everything by himself on a knackered 8 track machine and looks like a refugee from some Death Metal outfit. The song is an utterly blinding rock thing with a great tune buried under a crinkly cassette spool and I wish I was responsible for it. Jealousy is a compliment.

The album, Worn Copy, is on Paw Tracks and that's the label run by Animal Collective, which was the last outfit that jumped off a Wire compilation and assaulted me before loping off towards the forest. It occurs to me that this is the kind of music that Animal Collective will never get around to playing, so top marks to them for seeing the greatness of it in another rather than just signing folks who echo their own work, gorgeous though that is.

Let's all go out and buy the album, shouting out a mighty hurrah for the rocktabulous Ariel Pink as we belt down the street. Watch out for the traffic, though.


Buy from - Paw Tracks.
Buy - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Worn Copy from Amazon.
Visit - Ariel Pink's House
Visit - Ariel Pink

No comments: