Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Wouldn't Be Here If It Wasn't For You...



Big Star - Take Care

It's taken me a while to get around to Big Star. I've been putting it off because, to be honest, I don't think of "Sister Lovers" as an album at all. It's a friend.

And what can I say about this friend? One minute cheerful, then sardonic, lying, tender, drunk, elegaic, morose, angry. A pain in the ass, but a good friend anyway. Part of me.

Here's the final song, where the mood settles to gracious farewell, a sobered up, melancholic dignity. You feel you can't help the miserable bastard any more and you should just stop trying. Let him go. But you can't stop caring, can you.

This would be my choice for when my coffin rolls through the curtains and into the furnace. At least I'd know he'd turned up for the funeral.


Buy - Big Star - Sister Lovers Buy two copies because you'll lend it to someone and never get it back.
Visit - Big Star Reference

Mike.

No comments: