Monday, March 21, 2005

Sort Those Beats Out, Jenkinson!



Squarepusher - A Journey To Reedham (7am Mix)

So I'm out in the garage looking through boxes in an effort to locate the Randall tape that after all these years I need NOW when from behind the broken microwave appears Mr Squarepusher with his Big Loada ep. Oh God. Hello again.

Is it as mad as I remember it? Do I still love it? Yes and yes.

You know, I'm really pleased that not only have I made it to my mid-Thirties, but I've done so with my love of painful music intact. Market research would no doubt determine that I should be nodding along to the Athlete album, but I haven't finished with the weirdos yet. Or they haven't finished with me. Either way, I don't spend much time looking through the Britannia Music catalogue.

I remember someone in a magazine somewhere saying Mr Jenkinson would be great if he just got his beats sorted out. Well, given everything that he's done and the shamelessly professional way he plays bass, I don't think anyone is in a position to tell him to sort anything out, really. Let the man be.

Anyway, I think more people are upset by the fusion stuff than by the likes of A Journey To Reedham. This is Great Britain, where being good at more than one thing is frowned upon.

This ep and the Feed Me Weird Things album remain my favourites, although I'll always take advice from those in the know. Not a big Jaco Pastorius fan, though.

Still haven't found Randall. Thinking of sticking up posters on telegraph poles.


Buy - Squarepusher - Big Loada
Buy - Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things
Visit - Rather good Squarepusher interview

Mike.

No comments: