Monday, December 06, 2004

The Man Who Was Not With It...


Felt - All The People I Like Are Those That Are Dead
Orders from SVC HQ were to write something about Madchester.Well, this would be my personal anthem from the second summer of love. It isn't baggy, it isn't Northern, and it certainly isn't on one.

In the era of cheap hooded tops the only Mancunians I knew were into LL Cool J, Ice Cube and Tom Waits. They never even mentioned Happy Mondays, let alone bought their records.
I was living in a shared house down the South East and one of the other residents was an idiot who insisted on coming in drunk in the early hours and playing music at stupid stupid volume. What really got me was the choice of drunken singalong. "Take it to the Limit" by The Eagles. Shouting was a waste of time, so to blank it out I used to stick on the headphones. Choice of album? "Nature Unveiled" by Current 93 or "Forever Breathes The Lonely Word" by Felt, which is where this beauty comes from.

The song is the opposite of the dumb wombling togetherness of the baggy scene. "Maybe I should take a gun/put it to the head of everyone", croons Lawrence.
Drunken Eagles fans first, please.

Later on I used to get woken up by another housemate playing awesome proto trance blippo acid yamalong things. "Who's that?" "Not a clue", she'd reply. A tape someone had passed to her, no track listing, just the name of a DJ on the front.
This is the future calling.

Unlike the indie-dance crossover, it didn't sound like it was made by people who turned up at the disco wearing clogs. And as a Northern working class lad, I can tell you there's no such thing as a cool clog dancer.

Buy - Felt - Forever Breathes the Lonely Word
Visit - Felt Fansite

Mike.

No comments: