Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I Love You So, I Find You Crazy


Egill Sæbjörnsson - I Love You So

Both these tracks are taken from Iceland's Smekkleysa (Bad Taste Records) 'Egill S - Tonk Of The Lawn' album I bought when I was over there visiting friends a few years ago. Everyone was raving about this record that was being played on the radio all day everyday called 'Tonk Of The Lawn'. Anyway it's an odd record, (kind of like an Icelandic Beck) made by a chap called Egill Sæbjörnsson who is an Icelandic artist/painter/film-maker/singer-songwriter now based in Berlin.

These two cuts are highlights from the album for me, especially 'I Love You So' with it's nonsense lyrics. When a few friends and I did some recording with Laurel Aitken the same year we tried to get him to sing a line from this song where the lyrics go "You monck up the rowser" but Laurel misheard (and probably thought it and we were stupid) so was having none of it. He said that he wasn't going to sing about being the 'King of the Rowsers' in case the Rowsers got pissed off with him.

Egill Sæbjörnsson - Who's You Gonna Get When You Get Set

Egill says that with this song that he was trying to make a record with a simple beat and bassline like 'Another One Bites The Dust' by Queen. Seeing as he recorded most of the album in his kitchen with a Mac, a guitar and a small plastic microphone I think he's done an admirable job.

Visit - Bad Taste
Visit - Egill artwork and cv

No comments: