Monday, August 23, 2004

The More I See You Screaming....

Chris Montez - The More I See You

I love this song, In fact I love it so much I'd love to have it played at my wedding... Although I think I might be getting a little ahead of myself here as I've heard it's probably a good idea to get a girlfriend first!!! ho-hum!

Anyway, back to the tune....

Chris Montez is probably most famous for the ever popular stompingly good "Let's Dance", and had a few similar hits in the early 60's, but in 1966 he teamed up with easy listening god Herb Alpert who persuaded him to record some slower more gentle songs... and the result was the album The More I See You/Call Me, sadly only available on import now, but if you like this track you'll love it.

The song has got such a lovely loose groovy feel to it and sounds like it was done in very few (if not one) takes....

The ever so slightly out backing vocals and key changes, Chris' lovely soft voice and those wonderful handclaps....

One of the best love songs ever written.



Visit - Chris Montez Fan Site





Big White Stairs - Screaming

This is taken from their first ep cunningly titled ep No.1 released in 1993.

I saw Big white stairs play just before the single was released, they were on a bill featuring four bands I think (I can't remember the other bands at all), and these were the opening act, Big White Stairs blew everybody completely off the stage, they really were excellent....

Kind of like a cross between Swervedriver and Syd era Pink Floyd, they featured possibly one of the strangest singers I've seen in Steven Young... not only did he look quite bizarre (wearing a parker and a pair of huge gloves taped up at the wrists!) he also seemed to be on a different planet completely.... the closest comparison I can think of is seeing David Baker for the first time when he was in Mercury Rev back in the day.

This song gives me goosebumps... I'm not sure if it's because it's such a good song or if it just reminds me of a dark and wet night in Sheffield 11 years ago!

I don't know what any of the band are up to anymore, I know they released at least 3 more ep's that I've also got.... all getting slightly dare I say Britpopish as they went on... not bad, but none of them were a patch on the first single.

so if anyone has any info on them I'd be glad to hear it.



Simon

x



No comments: