Thursday, July 29, 2004

My Sweet Lord/Today Is A Killer

Nina Simone - My Sweet Lord/Today Is A Killer

Well, just a quick one before I go to bed... probably...

Yeah I know... more Nina Simone... but why not.

This is taken from the fantastic live album from 1972 (although recorded in '71) Emergency Ward, but if you click the link you'll find it's now being packaged with "Is It Finished ('74)" and "Black Gold ('70)"... talk about bargains...

Anyway, Nina on this track takes the George Harrison song and combines it with the poem "Today Is A killer" by David Nelson into a real gospel tinged groover.

This caused quite a stir at the time... if you listen to the last line you'll understand why!

And here it is in it's full 18 min. and 43 second glory...

With my limited vocabulary I can't begin to say how good this is....



Turn it up, put it on repeat a couple of times and lose yourself for an hour....



I hope you enjoy it.



X



No comments: