Friday, May 18, 2007

Put your lovin' hand out, baby


Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons - Beggin' (Pilooski Edit)

So I'm off to France in a few weeks, Paris to be exact for a family knees-up. Me Mum is 60 and it's going to be a blast. I've always had a swell time in France, I loves it Brynn I really do. Ahhhhh drinking rose wine on the beach in Bandol the sun beating down, wearing shorts! Holy Smoke wouldn't do that in the UK I can tell you. Walking back to the little train station late evening still balmy hot, laughing at the lizards sunbathing on the walls trying to get the last rays of sun. Happy days alright.

French music. Well we can start with Johnny Hallyday if you like but I'm going plump for Daft Punk everytime or perhaps current kings Justice, what about that D.A.N.C.E song then, catchy or what? Or how about Pilooski. Pil'who'ski you say? Well this talented chap re-edits smashing old songs and makes them even more smashing. He has appeared on the Dirty France label releasing a few limited pressings and each 12" has flown of the shelves. I was tempted to post the track he's done for the latest 12 (DL 05) where he takes The The's 9 minute barnstormer 'Giant' and shapes it into an art-pop epic but... but... there is 'Beggin' and this my friends is an absolute knockout! btw. the B-side is the Krikor edit of 'Goodbye Horses', yes that song that plays in the background when Buffalo Bill tucks his cocker between his legs and does the sexy dance in Silence of the Lambs. Don't click here!

So back to Beggin'. Play it once and you're hooked, play it twice and you have a problem. I'm currently on my 322nd straight listen and it's still as exhilarating as it was when I lost my Beggin' cherry a few days ago. It came out last December (DL 04) in France but I heard a little birdie say that 679 Recordings may be re-releasing it over here very soon... I certainly hope so as the more people that hear this the better. I mean if that Leo Sayer song can go top ten with a bit of a remix then this has to be No.1 right? Right?

Frankie Valli has never sounded so huge, well not since he was Rusty Millio in the Sopranos "We'll steamroll right over him and I predict the guys in the street in Brooklyn and Queens will welcome us as fuckin' heroes! It'll be easy..." Jings!

... and welcome to the wonderful Isle of Man Liz.

Buy - Frankie Valli - Anthology
Visit - Pilooski MySpace
Visit - Dirty France
Visit - Frankie Valli

No comments: