Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Here Loobie Loobie....



Lou Barlow - The Ballad of Daykitty

I know what you're thinking, It's Valentines day, so Simon will be doing a post about lost love, regret and loss featuring the music of The Wedding Present again...
Well, you were so so close to getting that, but I was halfway through writing the post when I realised that I'll probably never write anything about the Weddoes as well (well, in my own hamfisted way) as I did a couple of years ago...
And besides I'm in a completely different place to where I was a year or two back.
It's not been the best of years for me, a pretty bad and expensive relationship that lasted a year, sadly a year I'll not be getting back, but to be honest it was so crap I don't want it back, I'm just going to write it off like a bad debt.
About six months ago I was released, and within a week I'd got myself my first ever proper job, like the one real grown-ups have, not bumming round playing at being a DJ and the like.
Then after some tender loving care from a couple of wonderful friends who helped me get myself back on my feet by giving me a place to call home (Zoe & Paul, I love you), they gave me the space and time to rebuild and rethink my life, and now I'm sat here in my new place (moved in just before Christmas), I can't really call it SVC Mansions anymore, but it's mine and it will do for the time being.
I'm still single, but kind of happily so, I'm content with the person I am now and where I'm at, and there is a certain someone in my life that makes me smile more than I have done in many many years...

I don't know why I'm telling you all this, and I'm pretty sure you don't care, I guess I'm just leading up to, or trying to explain why I picked the track I did as my Valentines song, so without further ado I'll get on with talking about the music you came here for....

I know that most bloggers in the world will be posting their favourite love songs about a certain man or woman depending on their perspective or gender in their favoured genre, or their favourite anti-love songs depending on how loved or in love they feel, but I thought I'd post a track about a mans love for a cat.

The reason for this is simple, It's such a beautiful beautiful song, and it's not about some unreachable love that will frustrate you and make you feel like you'll never feel again, it's about a cat.
You know, the uncomplicated unconditional love and joy that a cat (or a dog if you're a doggy person, I'm not, I'm a catty person) can bring you.
It's the simple things in life that can bring the biggest joys, like hearing a stunning piece of music for the very first time, like a smile from a stranger, like a really good meal, like being out with some old friends or like a quiet night in with a great film and a bottle of wine.

It's taken me a long long time to realise these things, but now I'm going to hold on to them and cherish them.

The old curmudgeon is dead, long live the old curmudgeon...

Ah shit, who am I kidding...
I'm still a miserable git.

I guess I didn't really talk about the music did I....

Lou Barlow is God, now go and buy all his records.

Buy - Lou Barlow - Emoh
Buy - Sebadoh - Bakesale
Buy - Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
Visit - Lou Barlow
Visit - Sebadoh
Visit - Dinosaur Jr.

Simon
X

No comments: