Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Market Place

Entering the fray like a blindfolded boxer swinging words instead of punches comes the mercurial Swineshead, the latest addition to Team SVC. Welcome him as you would your long lost brother…



The Indelicates - We Hate The Kids
My Drug Hell - It's Good, But...

We hate the music industry, don’t we? Yeah, we do. It’s been said a million times before by people with more words and better pens than me, so I won’t run through it again. But isn’t it surprising that an industry seemingly so universally loathed hasn’t inspired more songs about that very thing? Perhaps there’s been loads, but the wiley industry is keeping the nasty subversives away from our delicate ears and making sure they remain stuffed with the very finest cotton wool. Or maybe it’s just that nobody dares, all the bands too terrified of not getting a record deal and playing the game to risk it, as it represents the only chance they’ll get, scared into conformity by an industry so deeply homogenised that the very idea of rebellion has been repackaged into a definitive image of a classic leather jacket and some tasteful shades. Meanwhile, the evil corporate industry is killing all genuine revolt at birth, starving bands of the oxygen of publicity and money. Is that what’s happening?

I don’t know. I haven’t got a clue. Thank god, then, for the Indelicates who are, as the Flaming Lips once had it, providing needles for your balloons. They seem to know. Their stated mission is to ‘end all music’, and if you find yourself already scoffing at the expected empty rhetoric then have a listen to ‘We Hate the Kids’. Hilariously direct, literate, simultaneously world weary and spoiling for a fight. It’s one of the most refreshing things I’ve heard so far this year and possibly the first really honest song about being in a band I’ve ever heard. Head over to their website and have a listen to the even more to the point ‘Waiting for Pete Doherty to Die’.

My Drug Hell’s contribution to the niche genre of anti-music industry music, meanwhile, is just hilarious. Rescued from a free 7 inch from an lp I bought ten years ago on the back of hearing ‘Girl At The Bus Stop’ on the radio, this is an equally vicious and bitchy parody of London A&R men. Recorded from vinyl for genuine hiss and crackle if you, like me, are finding crystal clear cds and mp3s a little bit radio friendly unit shifting these days. I was going to tell you that I didn’t know whatever became of My Drug Hell, but through the magic of myspace I discovered them alive and well. Some bands do survive then.

The Indelicates are playing live at The Luminaire, Kilburn, London on Sunday 25th June 2006

More mp3s to download at The Indelicates website
My Drug Hell at My Space
Search ebay for My Drug Hell

Swineshead.

No comments: