Thursday, November 17, 2005

A Sudden Drop In Temperature



-25 by Pan Sonic

...................... blip blip blip blip blip ..................... wooooowooooowoooooo .................... blip blip blip blip blip blip ................................................. wooooowooooowooooowooooo...

Here on Planet Mikey, electronic music has always been and will always be about turning a dial slowly and keeping a very straight face. If the device has a chrome front and contains home made circuitry, you totally rule.

I own one analogue electronic device. You couldn’t call it a musical instrument, or even a synthesiser. It’s got lots of dials and a flashing light that changes colour when you twiddle things. It was made by a bloke in Wales and it runs on batteries. I’m happy, but do I smile when I play it?

No. I frown slightly. Because I’m concentrating.

So you’ll understand why I’ve dug out this track by the truly great Pan Sonic. It takes nerve to be this empty, this still, without the forward propulsion of a beat or even a click. Funny thing is, when I listen to this I can’t help thinking of John Lee Hooker. One chord, no fancy playing, and no, the words will not rhyme.

Doesn’t really matter if you’re heading off down the highway, the autobahn or straight into the brittle forest. You just look forward and start walking with an even pace. But if you happen to be going towards those winter trees, I hope this piece of music returns to accompany you, static as the huge November moon.

Visit - Pan Sonic
Visit - TechnoMage
Buy - Kulma Amazon

No comments: