Monday, July 25, 2005

Show me a word that rhymes with Pavement...



Pavement - Harness Your Hopes

I don't really like to write about bands everyone knows but sometimes there's a B side or little gem that I'd forgotten about that sorta precludes that thinking. I just remembered this song and it's a great summer song for these humid NYC days and nights. It's on the Spit on a Stranger EP of 1999 but was actually recorded during the Brighten The Corners sessions (1996). The lyrics are fun and rambling and evoke some great, impossible imagery. I guess I really like this song cause, in the end, it's a pretty straightforward song and sometimes that's all you need.

Buy - Pavement - Spit On A Stranger
Buy - Pavement - Brighten The Corners
Visit - Pavement



Starflyer 59 - Old

A friend put some Starflyer 59 stuff on a cd for me recently but I'd never heard of this band before. Weird cause they have like 8 albums and are around now, and sound like stuff I listen to.
Somehow they've never been on my radar. Initially, I likened their sound to Earlimart- hushed vocals and quiet dreamy songs that elevate to loud dreamy songs by the end. But from what I've read they seem to reinvent themselves each album so maybe they haven't been able to find their following.
Whatever's going on, I like it!

Buy - Starflyer 59 - Old
Visit - Starflyer 59

No comments: