Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Sunrise, Cliff Edge, Rimbaud on a Trampoline...



Tim Buckley - Morning Glory

I was out walking the dogs tonight when I saw something that depressed the hell out of me. It was a trampoline in a back garden. Great. But it was surrounded by netting on all sides, thus making it impossible to do out of control death defying legs akimbo aaaargghh leaps off the side and into the nearest rose bush.

Come on! Where's the fun in that?

Which got me to thinking about Tim Buckley. I'm not going to dwell on the Dread Curse of The Buckley Clan, a tale oft told in glossy music mags aimed at the adult market. But I will say this about Tim as a musician and songwriter: he was not one for safety nets.

If he had been, we wouldn't have got the awesome progression from the coffee shop troubadour through to the free voice on a groove and out into abstract choirs of Starsailor, bumping back down to the dirty earth on Greetings From LA. It burnt him out, of course. But at least he had something to burn.

What am I going for? Hell, "Morning Glory", why not. Tim in the midst of a reverberating vision. It's the title track of a two disc compilation that you really, really have to buy.

I'd like to finish with a little rant.

Two things that make me angry: one, the fact that the Starsailor album is unavailable on reissue cd. What tangle of licensing bullshit prevents it from being available to a heap of folks who really want to get their hands on it?

Two, the fact that Philip Larkin is on the Literature syllabus. For God's sake, what benefit are kids ever going to get from a cynical Librarian up in Hull? Thanks for pointing out how mundane life can be. You're a real treat.

NO! Give the kids copies of Arthur Rimbaud's Season In Hell and let them hear Tim Buckley.

I'm off for a lie down. In a rose bush.


Buy - Morning Glory: The Tim Buckley Anthology
Buy - Arthur Rimbaud - A Season in Hell + The Drunken Boat
Visit - Tim Buckley

Mike.

No comments: