Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Cherry Poppin'....



Outrageous Cherry - Song From The Bottom Of A Well

Outrageous Cherry - Boy Child

You know what it's like, you plan to do a post on a band when you've got their new album....
But I haven't got their new album yet, bit slack I know considering it was released in February... but I can't wait any longer so here's the Outrageous Cherry post....

Detroit's Outrageous Cherry were formed in 1992 and have released several albums, possibly my favourite of them all is Stereo Action Rent Party from 1996, it's basically a covers album, now I'm not saying their own songs are no good, far from it, just that this album seems to be the one I play most....
And these are a couple of cracking versions, firstly a great interpretation of "Song From The Bottom Of A Well" originally by one of my favourite artists ever... Kevin Ayers... and then another of my favourite artist get the Cherry treatment... Scott Walker on "Boy Child", great stuff.

Other great covers on this album include "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc, "Reel Around The Fountain" by The Smiths and not forgetting a gorgeous version of "Some Of Them Are Old" by the ever wonderful Eno.

Their albums all have a very similar style and sound, which can only be described as psychedelic indie pop rock I guess, but the new album is supposed to be a bit poppier...
Guess I'll just have to wait until I buy it to find out, if anyone has it let me know in the comments what it's like.... although I'll be buying it anyway, would just be nice to have a few opinions on it as it's supposed to be a bit of a departure for them.


Buy - Outrageous Cherry - Our Love Will Change the World
Buy - Outrageous Cherry - Stereo Action Rent Party
Visit - Outrageous Cherry @ Rainbow Quartz Records


Here is the news....

Our very own Rowche has only gone and started his own flippin' MP3 site type thing called Go Rock Go!... the scoundrel!
But luckily for me he will be posting them here too... Bonus.

And next week on the effervescent Bumrocks, the guest Bumrocker will be Tim Sweeney of DFA and Beats In Space notoriety...

Double Double Good!

Simon
x

No comments: