Tuesday, November 16, 2004

When Harry Met James...


Harry Nilsson - Jump Into The Fire
God this takes me back...
For a couple of years from the age of five when I lived with my mum there was a great big huge poster that covered half the wall of Harry Nilsson wearing a dressing gown (it was the cover to Nilsson Schmilsson!) at the bottom of my bed...
Now I'm not exactly sure how much this has affected me in my later life, but I'm pretty sure it can't be healthy...
Harry was at the time probably better known as John Lennon's boozy mate (see picture above), which is a bit of a shame as he wrote some great songs...
This being my favourite.
This is taken from 1971's Nilsson Schmilsson (brilliant title!) album and features Chris Spedding on guitar and a certain Mr Herbie Flowers on bass who is probably more famous for the bass playing on Lou Reed's Transformer and Bowie's Diamond Dogs amongst many many others.
(both Chris and Herbie (Uber session men of the seventies or what?) also appeared on Jeff Wayne's "War of The Worlds" too fact fans!)
Let's face it, the list of who these pair worked with would take me an age to write out... so I wont.
This version is the full 7 minute version from the album and not the shortened single version...
I just love the loosness of this, the grimey bass, the slightly deranged wailing of Harry and the great drumming.
Well worth 7 minutes of your time.
Harry Nilsson died in 1994 from an apparent heart attack, hardly surprising really considering how much he liked a tipple amongst other things.

Buy - Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
Visit - Harry Nilsson


Lcd Soundsystem - Jump Into The Fire (Live)
If anyones been lucky enough to catch these guys on the road then you'll know just how massive this track is live.
Sorry for the slightly shoddy quality soundwise of this recording but it's the best I've got...
It really doesn't do them justice but it gives you a rough idea...
When I saw them I had no idea they did this and when the bass line first kicked in I nearly wet myself....
Luckily I held it in and just danced like a looney for 6 minutes or so.
I have to say that Lcd Soundsystem live was on of my favourite gigs of this year, even though they had technical difficulties, just the sheer sound of it carried it beyond what most acts seem to muster up for their performances, and when "Losing My Edge" started I have honestly never seen anything like it before....
just the whole entire room exploded from the front to the people loitering (well jammed in really) round by the exits....

Buy - Dfa Records Presents: Compilation #2
Visit - DFA Records

No comments: