Friday, April 22, 2005

Reality Is Only Temporary...



The United States Of America - Coming Down

You know how these things connect. I was sat there wondering why absolutely no one I knew had the second Polyphonic Spree album after we all flipped over the debut when a riff clicked into my head... Where is that from?

What the hell is it??

Got it.

Most people know this act (if at all) from "I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar", a track that turns up on Psych compilations. It doesn't sit easily with the usual cloud licking oh my golly the world has turned into purple butterflies schtick, being a jaunty tune about extra marital S&M. And even when Messrs. Byrd and Co. are more openly hallucinogenic with their concerns, there's an appealing archness that sets them apart from their contemporaries.

"Coming Down" is, according to the sleeve notes, "Clearly concerned with mind expanding behaviour". No kidding! But the great thing about this track, apart from the opening riff, the headsaw keyboard tone, the gratuitous echo at the end of the chorus, the violin, the fuzz bass line and the drumming- all of it, basically, is Dorothy Moskowitz’s vocal.

My, she seems to say, my brain is completely blown and I'm not sure it's ever coming back. I've glimpsed the beyond and I will never, ever be the same again.

Oh well. Hey, let's get doughnuts!

She's so cool it's hilarious. Others would be screaming, bawling, attempting prophecy and all kinds of gumbo. Yes, I'm talking about Jim Morrison.

OK, says Dorothy. I think we can all agree that Nirvana is pretty groovy. There's no need to, like, shout about it.

This is one great album. It doesn't let you down with endless spirally guitar solos or duff Bo Diddley covers half way through, like a lot of so-called classic American Psych does. The song's the thing here. Go buy it and don't go worrying about the side effects.

Life is short, the Universe is vast.

And doughnuts are really good.


Buy - The United States of America... re-jigged with bonus tracks.
Visit - Good Article on The United States of America

No comments: