Monday, April 11, 2005

Cry... cry...



Irma Thomas - Wish Someone Would Care

I've only recently got into Irma Thomas, in fact only very recently after a friend of mine Thomas introduced me to the fantastic Dave Godin 'Deep Soul Treasures' CDs and for the past week or so apart from a dalliance with The Phantom Carriage I have been listening to not much else. I've pestered Thomas on a few occasions to write something about Mr.Godin for SVC as he was a truly influential man and crucial to the emergence of Deep Soul music in the UK and i'm sure there will be a lot of our listeners out there who'd be keen to hear a few more tracks and could perhaps share some info and recommendations. Well they do say that the best things come to those who wait, oh and the best things in life are free so watch this space...

Back to Irma, I couldn't decide whether to post 'These Four Walls' or 'Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)' but instead have plumped for 'Wish Someone Would Care' her biggest hit from 1964 reaching No.17 on the Billboard's pop chart. It's heart-breaking.

Twenty-two years old with two failed marriages behind her and with three young children Irma wrote this tragic/beautiful song from her own painful experiences, she said herself that "It was a song from my heart... I really wanted someone to care, to stand beside me and care."

Anyway I don't think you really need me to go on about how good it is, so i'll away. Check out the links below for a detailed bio and an interview, she's still singing today so if you've in New Orleans get to the Jazz Fest on the 23rd of April. Lucky, lucky. Oh and buy the Dave Godin Deep Soul Treasures CDs. Really now.

Visit - Irma's website
Visit - Interview
Visit - Biography
Buy - Irma Thomas - Straight from the Soul
Buy - Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol.3

No comments: