Thursday, April 14, 2005

Come Join This Dizzy Ecstasy...



Maxi Geil & Playcolt - A Message To My Audience

Maxi Geil & Playcolt - Strange Sensation

While were waiting for our roving reporter Littlepants to finish the film she's making with them (good god I'm impatient!) I just couldn't resist posting a couple of tracks from one of my favourite bands around at the moment... The wonderful Maxi Geil & Playcolt... great name too.
You might remember a while back I did a Cud post (found here) and hinted at what had got me scurrying off to find my old Cud albums... well this is them.
Yes they remind me of Cud, especially Maxi's delivery, and yes, they also remind me of Eno period Roxy Music, but above all my ruminations of who they might remind me of, the most important thing is that they sound like a band called Maxi Geil & Playcolt, and they sound like they really enjoy being in their band.
And who wouldn't, great lyrics, great music, great videos, and by all accounts a fantastic live experience (I'm yet to see them... if they don't make it to the UK soon I might just have to sell some body parts to raise the money to get to New York... so come on guys, you wouldn't like to see little old me having to sell a kidney would you... that would seriously hinder my favourite pastime of wine tasting!).

The band have been going for a couple of years now and started life as "an imaginary rock group archetype complete with inter-band struggles and romantic tension" that was the brainchild of Artist Guy Richards Smit who took on the persona and inhabited the body of Max Geil.
Also in the band is Guy's wife and Artist Rebecca Chamberlain (known as Giselle Thurst for Maxi) on Vocals, Artist Fritz Chesnut on Bass, Drummer Jeff Jefferies on... Drums, and Guitarists Hiatt Regency and Dirk Godlyk on... Erm!... Guitars.
They've been moving away from playing the New York galleries and have now moved to playing clubs, but in my opinion they are still massively under exposed, and deserve to be heard and seen by people outside of New York.
Go visit their website, buy their album for a paltry $10 (+postage) (absolute bargain, trust me), then play it to all your mates, tell them to buy their album... and so on.


*Update*

Luckily it looks like I can keep my body parts intact... phew!

From the mouth of Guy...

"You'll be happy to know that we are coming to the UK in June in conjunction with my exhibitions at Fred Ltd. in the East End and at Sketch ( they'll be showing my new Maxi Geil! & PlayColt rock opera Nausea 2).
We'll be playing in support of a new EP vinyl picture disk (UK only) of new material that will also have a couple of remixes by Sleazy (of Throbbing Gristle & Coil fame)
We have gigs lined up on the 25th and 26th of June in London but are currently looking to play other towns as well."

Oh yes indeed!


Buy - Maxi Geil & Playcolt direct from the band
Visit - Maxi Geil & Playcolt
Visit - Rebecca Chamberlain
Visit - Fritz Chesnut
Show Them Some Love - Maxi Board

Simon
x

No comments: