Thursday, February 17, 2005

Rave On..but not in a, eww, 80's 90's way...



Buddy Holly - Well... All Right

I'm not sure what made me buy a Buddy Holly compilation several years ago but I was surprised to discover more than a few songs that didn't sound like "Everyday" and "Peggy Sue" or whatever.
It's always fun to find out that someone so iconic has a lot more to them than you
always thought.
This song, Well... All Right, is one of those songs that kinda blew me away cause it was so different from the typical Buddy Holly sound and there's a reason he's an innovator and an icon and all that.
It sounds like if there was indie-rock in the '50's or something.
Also maybe check out The Buddy Holly Story, it's great and will surprise you cause Gary Busey was so talented and it's easy to forget that.
Aw. I had a bunch of Buddy Holly history written here for this
part but it sounded boring..
Moving on...

The Smiths - Rusholme Ruffians

I'm gonna use the fact that Buddy Holly opened for Elvis in 1955 to segue into The Smiths "Rusholme Ruffians".
The version of this song on their 1986 live album Rank borrows lyrics from Elvis Presley's 1961 single, (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame for a bouncy, rockabilly number.
It makes me wonder why I never thought of Morrissey in the context of Elvis before, if only for the pompadours, let alone the iconic stature. Duhhhh...

The The - I Can't Get You Off My Mind

With a little less hair, but laying claim to the sexiest voice in music, Matt Johnson of The The re-interprets a whole bunch of Hank Williams' songs on 1995's Hanky Panky.
I never thought much one way or the other about Hank Williams til I heard these.
Lonely and drunk never sounded so beautiful.

Buy - The Buddy Holly Collection
Buy - The Smiths - Rank
Buy - The The - Hanky Panky
Visit - Supercool gallery of all the 1950's inspired Smiths Artwork
Visit - This Is The Day
Visit - The History Of Rock - Elvis
Visit - The History Of Rock - Buddy Holly
Visit - The Buddy Holly Story @ IMDb

No comments: