Sunday, January 30, 2005

Lullabies For People And Hobbits.....

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome another SVC member... Rachel Littlepants from Brooklyn NY, now I've had a word with the other SVC members and we seem to think that Brooklyn is somewhere near Cleethorpes...?

Anyway, welcome Littlepants, pull up a chair, grab a cup of tea and make yourself at home.


Simon.

X









Espers - Voices



Greg Weeks - Made



But ok it's not really even mystical, but f**k if I know how to describe music. Usually it’s just 'cool', 'really cool', or 'kinda whatevs'. Umm, Simon, are you regretting inviting me here to 'write'?



Anyway, I discovered Espers through their singer, Greg Weeks, who is pretty amazing. He's been on the Philadelphia indie/weird-noise scene for a few years now and I saw him play in Oakland once and it was one of those neat things where you had never heard the band before but totally liked it right away.

His stuff is kinda melancholy and creepy and sweet all at the same time. There's weird little keyboard noises from an omnichord and umm, it was 3 years ago and I can't remember much else except I super liked it and it was worth waiting through all these other bands to see him.



A couple years ago, he started Espers, a trio that makes haunting, psych-folk that sounds like a sort of a creepy Donovan. There's a medieval, frolicking element that evokes a foggy stagecoach ride in the marshes (wtf?) in my mind. Sorry about the specific imagery but see if 'Voices' doesn't make you see that too.





Buy - Espers

Buy - Blood Is Trouble

Listen - to Espers do a radio show

Visit - Espers

Visit - Greg Weeks



No comments: